Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tiny People, Unconditional Love, Nonregularian Morality

Tonight I was walking home in the dark. The bag on my shoulder was might heavy with thought. And books.

I crossed paths with a grown man and a tiny girl. He carried her in the dark. As we passed Analog coffee he set her down and gently said "I'm going to chase you now." She was delighted. Giggling, they scampered about. She ran from him but wanted to be caught. They both laughed and smiled and enjoyed the moment.

I turned back several times, watching them, giggling along.

It brought me a lot of joy.

Love like that is inexplicable. It demands no logic, yet has a greater rational depth than most actions.

Love like that does not need to be explained. Love like that is profound and wise.

Morality, at its most profound, also rejects clear explanation while possessing a deep wisdom and a complete rationality.

I've been writing about Collingwood's concept of duty. My thinking on it is deepening.

It is moving me in a very serious way.

I feel a duty to love. I hope that some day I can love another person, and that we can love a tiny person together.

No comments:

Post a Comment